- PLA is home to undergraduate and graduate academic programs.
- Introducing students to the field of landscape studies and provides specialties in restoration ecology, environmental planning, or cultural and historic landscapes.
- Training students to become licensed landscape architects. This is a professional degree program accredited by the American Society of Landscape Architects.
- This Master of Science degree emphasizes conducting original research in the form of a thesis or creating evidence-based design solutions to complex landscape problems.
- This Master of Science degree prepares students for professional positions in government, non-profit and community organizations, and the private sector, to be leaders in shaping communities.
- This Doctor of Philosophy degree is a research degree and is intended to appeal to individuals from diverse planning backgrounds.
The Department of Planning and Landscape Architecture is committed to establishing and maintaining a supportive climate of inclusion, diversity, and collegiality among our interactions and through our actions and policies. We envision a department in which all individuals are engaged in a vibrant learning community, where ideas, experiences, and perspectives are supported, nurtured, and developed to their highest levels.
The Nelson Institute Director, Paul Robbins, recently recognized the projects and accomplishments of its faculty affiliates by contacting the Chairs of the Departments about the achievements of their faculty. The Nelson Institute values its Affiliates enormously and… READ MORE
PhD student Jimmy Camacho has been accepted into the 2017 ACSP PhD Workshop, to be held in October preceding the annual meeting of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning. Acceptance into the workshop is on application; Jimmy was one of only 21 Ph.D. students … READ MORE
Professor Bonnie Johnson, Urban Planning Program, University of Kansas, and PLA's Professor Brian Ohm's session "Leading with Staff Reports" was rated as one of the Top Ten sessions at the 2017 National Planning Conference in New York City in May. You can read more about… READ MORE
Prof. Harvey M. Jacobs has been appointed as a 2017 Visiting Academic Scholar in the Erasmus Mundus Masters Programme: PLANET Europe. PLANET Europe is a cooperative program among Radboud University Nijmegen (The Netherlands), Cardiff University (UK), and… READ MORE
Shawn T. Kelly, FASLA, has been elected 2017-2018 president-elect of the American Society of Landscape Architects. He will be sworn in as president-elect at the 2017… READ MORE
The Department of Landscape Architecture at the University of Wisconsin - Madison is proud to continue its long history of design and planning outreach, and we are currently pursuing opportunities for service projects to be considered for the 2017-2018 Senior Capstone… READ MORE