BSLA Professional Degree
Admission into the professional design program (BSLA degree) is a two-step process:
1. Students who meet the requirements for admission to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and who choose the professional landscape architecture degree as “pre-landscape architecture” students. During the first year they take a series of prerequisite courses including:
- Land Arch 201 Introductory Landscape Architecture Studio (fall and summer semester)
- Land Arch 250 Survey of Landscape Architecture Design (fall and summer semester)
- Land Arch 262 Site Inventory and Evaluation Methods (spring semester)
- Land Arch 312 Graphics for Designers (spring semester)
- Mech Engineering 160 Architectural Graphics
- Art 102 Two-Dimensional Design or Art 112 Drawing I or Design Studies 120 Design: Fundamentals I
- Botany 100 or 130 Introductory Botany
2. Students, wishing to continue in the BSLA professional design program, must submit an application in the spring of the academic year during which they will complete the prerequisites. We admit a maximum of 22 students. Selection will be based on a letter of intent and on grades earned in the prerequisite courses.
We notify applicants of their initial admission status no later than June 15th and confirm their final status two weeks after the end of the 8-week Summer Session. Students not selected for admission may enroll for a second time with a pre-landscape architecture classification and seek admission for the following fall by reapplying during the spring semester. If not selected after a second application, students will need to transfer to another program on the Madison campus or to another institution. Students may appeal their admission decisions to the Curriculum Committee to clarify errors of fact or extenuating circumstances.
For more information on these admission procedures, check out the online Undergraduate Catalog, or follow this link to the Undergraduate Office of Admissions and Recruitment for more information and to apply. Check out the Office of Student Financial Aid for the cost of undergraduate study, scholarships, student jobs, and different types of aid.
BS Landscape Studies
The Department of Planning and Landscape Architecture accepts all undergraduate students into the Landscape Architecture Bachelor of Science (BS) major who have been admitted to the University of Wisconsin-Madison and to the College of Letters & Science.
Contact Debi Griffin to schedule an advising appointment.