PEORIA COUNTY PLANNING & ZONING
Peoria, IL United States
Land use team member responsible for daily development issues of the Department, specifically the implementation and enforcement of several County Ordinances, and permitting processes.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Applies knowledge of how development regulations are created and implemented including, but not limited to, zoning, subdivision, and erosion and storm water control ordinances. Applies knowledge to local development related ordinances, the Plat Act of the State of Illinois, the Illinois Accessibility Code, and other state statutes.
- Provides input in staff discussions regarding amendments to said ordinances, and reviews pending state and federal legislation as needed.
- Responsible for knowledge of the comprehensive land use planning process; its value to the community; and the implementation of such plans.
- Creates maps and analyzes geographic and demographic data using Geographic Information Systems (GIS).
- Provides assistance to the Assistant Director to coordinate all of the current development activities processed by the Department. This includes, at a minimum, the preparation of staff reports to the Zoning Board of Appeals for Rezonings, Special Uses, and Variances, including recommendations; the commercial permitting process; review and approval of tract surveys, at the discretion of the Plat Officer; and processing of erosion control permits.
- Assists other members of the professional staff to prepare, analyze, and implement planning projects and strategies.
- Serves as a point of contact for general inquiries for all of the Department’s customers, including but not limited to the general public, elected and appointed County Officials, and professional peers from other jurisdictions. This duty may include answering telephones, responding to e-mail inquiries, and face-to-face interaction with the Department’s customers both in and out of the Department’s Office.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, geography, or closely related field, and one year work experience in planning, zoning, or related area.
- Must have knowledge regarding site design principles, drafting, land use law, and comprehensive planning.
- Must possess effective communication skills, both written and oral.
- Be familiar with cartography, aerial photograph interpretation, graphics, statistics, surveying, soil characteristics, transportation, demographic, economic, and agricultural data sources.
- Working knowledge of the use of computers for word processing, spreadsheet analysis, data base management, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) is required. Experience with ArcView is desired.
- Must be able to interact tactfully and effectively with the public, and should be prepared to give public presentations to a variety of groups and organizations.
Please submit application and cover letter online only at: https://www.peoriacounty.org/jobs.aspx