OPENING DATE: 01/31/20
CLOSING DATE: 02/29/20 11:59 PM
LOCATION: Transit Control Center, Minneapolis
WHO WE ARE:
The Bus Technology Systems Intelligence Intern will assist the Metro Transit Technology Systems department in the Bus Transportation division in developing analytical tools to help monitor, maintain, and evaluate in the development, implementation, and support of existing and future transit-related Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and Operations Technology (OT) initiatives. This is a full time Summer (40 hrs/week) paid internship that will begin on May 26, 2020 and go part-time during the
What does a 2020 Internship with the Metropolitan Council entail? As a 2020 Intern with the Metropolitan Council you will benefit from on the job training and mentoring along with participation in team projects, social events and professional development. Interns will receive the opportunity to build professional relationships and enhance their interpersonal skills. Interns will also interact with their coworkers and participate in projects that directly impact business value.
Who is the Metropolitan Council?
The Metropolitan Council is made up of several operating divisions that service the Twin Cities Metropolitan area in a number of ways.
- Metro Transit provides bus and light rail public transportation for the greater metropolitan area
- Metropolitan Council Environmental Services (MCES) manages wastewater treatment plants and the regional wastewater collection system for the seven county metropolitan region
- Community Development is responsible for helping the Council shape its regional growth plan and Metro HRA provides affordable housing programs in the region
- Metropolitan Transportation Services (MTS) is responsible for the transportation planning functions as the Twin Cities metropolitan planning organization (MPO) for transportation
- Regional Administration provides support services (Finance, Payroll, HR, etc.) for the Council
WHAT YOU WOULD DO IN THIS JOB
- Assist in collecting, analyzing, and evaluating Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) data and utilize this data to maximize and improve system operational, technical and application performance and expanded capabilities.
- Support ongoing evaluation of Operations Technology (OT) systems to ensure they are providing utmost value for business goals and objectives, outcomes, and impacts.
- Develop, create, and automate reports, dashboards, visualization of trends, etc. using ITS and OT systems data to identify system issues and operational points of failure.
WHAT EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS JOB (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS)
- Must be enrolled in a post-secondary education program OR Be a recent graduate (within 12 months) from a post-secondary education program
- Able to work full time summer and part time during the school year
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products, especially Excel, Access
- Knowledge of SQL, Power BI, R, and/or other data analytics packages
DEGREE PROGRAM/AREA OF STUDY PREFERRED
- Computer Science/Data AnalyticsTransportation Engineering, urban Planning/Policy, or Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM)
Complete the application and answer the supplemental questions
Attach a resume and unofficial transcript
Must be a Citizen or National of the United States, a lawful, permanent resident, or have
authorization to work in the United States
For More information and to apply click HERE