Title: GCDC Project Management Intern
Department: Green County Development Corporation
Reports to: Executive Director of the Green County Development Corporation
Overall responsibility: Working under minimal supervision, the GCDC intern is responsible to manage the Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) Program and provide support to the Executive Director in a professional and timely manner.
Key areas of responsibility:
Business Retention and Expansion Program Management
Green County’s economic health is largely determined by job creation. Economic development organizations focus on attracting new business to their area to create jobs and broaden the economic base. We also work with existing businesses to retain the jobs we already have.
The BRE project is working on the retention side of economic development. Though this may not be the sexiest part of economic development (who doesn’t love to see a headline of a new company coming to town?) it is definitely where the jobs are found. Existing businesses create approximately 80 percent of the new jobs within a community. This is why BRE is so important to growing a prosperous community.
Not only should retention efforts center on growing companies that are successful, it’s also important to identify companies at risk of downsizing operations. When economic development organizations can step in and offer services to help struggling companies, they can thwart layoffs and facility closings, preventing the loss of jobs, and ultimately the loss of economic health.
1. Identify businesses, based on number of employees, to be interviewed through the BRE Program.
2. Identify key contact people at identified businesses and set up BRE interviews with careful scheduling to allow travel between interviews. Set up 2-4 BRE interviews one to two days per week through the end of 2020.
3. Ensure key stakeholders are invited (when appropriate) to BRE interviews, including City, Chamber and Main Street representatives.
4. Attend BRE visits, compile notes from other interviewers and enter data in the contact management system.
5. Identify and generate BRE reports for partners and the GCDC Board.
GCDC Executive Director, GCDC Project/Marketing Manager, and other individuals depending on the project
Term of employment:
Full time employment start date-end date, 2020
Qualifications: (necessary skills and experience required)
· Working toward bachelor’s degree in business related field, or comparable experience
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Efficient in Excel, Word and Publisher.
· Event planning and management experience
Pay: $10/hour – up to 40 hours per week
Green County Development Corporation
1016 16th Avenue
Monroe, WI 53566 email@example.com
Phone: (608) 328-9452 Website: www.greencountyedc.com Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GreenCountyDevelopment/