The AHEC Community Health Internship Program (CHIP) provides a partnership with local health departments, tribal health centers, community health centers and community service agencies to develop research projects and provide mentoring for health professions students interested in an intensive summer experience in community health
This 8-week paid internship allows students to work full time in a local health department or community agency. Over 70 sites to choose from throughout the state. Each intern is hosted by an experienced professional and participates in additional curriculum and enrichment activities coordinated by AHEC. Internship runs June 1-July 24, 2020.
AHEC offers two distinct programs, both running during June and July each summer and providing a stipend of $2400 for the eight weeks. The Milwaukee CHIP program is operated by Milwaukee AHEC, with core activities based in Milwaukee and project sites in Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha, and Waukesha counties.
All other Wisconsin locations are included in the Statewide CHIP program operated by the AHEC Program Office in Madison. The Statewide program includes a required orientation day in Madison at the end of May each year, with continuing core activities delivered via distance learning.
- Friday, Nov. 1, 2019 – Monday, Dec. 16, 2019: Host Site Proposal Application submission window
- December 16- February 15, 2020: Student Application submission window
- February – April: Student selection and host site matching
- Friday, May 29, 2020: Statewide CHIP Orientation in Madison
- Monday, June 1, 2020: Milwaukee CHIP Orientation
- Monday, June 1, 2020 – Friday, July 24, 2020: CHIP Program dates
To be eligible for the CHIP program, applicants must:
• be a Wisconsin resident or student attending a college or university in Wisconsin;
• be a US citizen or permanent resident.
• preferably have a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
• preferably completed at least two years of college coursework by June 2020;
• have an interest in community, public, or population health.
CHIP is a highly competitive program. Most internships are awarded to current juniors, seniors, or graduate students.
Statewide Coordinator, Jill Niemczyk
Milwaukee Coordinator, Suzanne Letellier
Application deadline for CHIP is February 15, 2020.
For more Information and to apply click HERE