Are you interested in making places better for walking and biking? Are you curious about how a city decides where to put its bike lanes? How about new pedestrian crossings? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to spend time this summer learning about pedestrian and bicyclist planning and design while working on real projects as a Planning Intern at Toole Design Group.
Why Toole Design?
At Toole Design, we’re working to create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. Our staff of 200+ landscape architects, planners and engineers are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate across disciplines with colleagues on transformative projects throughout the country.
As an Intern, you will not be fetching coffee or sorting mail – we want you here for real, meaningful work. You’ll spend 8 to 12 weeks working with planners, engineers, and landscape architects on a variety of projects. All internships are paid positions. We will work with your schedule.
Your work may include analyzing survey data for a pedestrian master plan, preparing materials for public meetings, or even helping develop graphics for new bicycle facility design guidance. Toole Design is a truly inter-disciplinary firm, so our planners, landscape architects, and engineers work side-by-side to ensure that our projects are safe for all users, easily constructible, and fit in the community context.
Toole Design is a committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business. We are proud of the fact that over 50% of our managers are women or minorities. No matter what your background is – we encourage you to apply for this position.
You’ll be great here if:
• You are passionate about active transportation in cities, suburbs and rural areas
• You want to learn and are willing to take on new tasks
• You thrive in a fast-paced environment and care about the details
• You ask questions when you need help and take ownership of your work when you’ve gotten the answer
We’ll offer you:
• Opportunities to work on a wide range of project types and work products.
• Company-wide trainings on core skills and industry best practices.
• New or growing skills with software including ArcMap and QGIS, and graphic design/simulation programs in the Adobe Suite.
• Attendance at key project meetings, and opportunities for field visits to project sites.
• Career mentorship from the best in the business.
• Colleagues who love what they do and want you to learn about this field that we care so much about.
About our Madison office:
The Madison office of Toole Design is conveniently located downtown, less than a block from the Capitol Square, with secure bike parking and shower facilities. The office is easily accessed on foot, by bicycle, and via transit. Our Madison team is a dynamic mix of planners, landscape architects, and graphic designers, and our projects range from citywide plans to street transformations, both in Wisconsin and throughout the United States.
How to Apply:
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click Here or visit our careers page http://www.tooledesign.com/company/careers and select the corresponding position. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website (www.tooledesign.com), follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup).
• Undergraduate: Current enrollment as a third year or higher.
• Masters’: Current or upcoming enrollment in a related program field.
• Recent graduate: Degree in a related field or demonstrated passion for the field.
• Ability to quickly pick up new concepts, skills, and programs.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
• Experience in an office environment a plus.