Director of Community Development
The City of Wisconsin Rapids has a unique and rewarding opportunity to be the Director of Community Development. The ideal candidate will possess strong leadership, interpersonal, and problem solving skills while executing a variety of economic and community development initiatives across the city. Under the general direction of the Mayor, the Director initiates, develops, directs, and supervises the
implementation of all matters related to planning, economic development, building inspections and code enforcement as defined in the comprehensive plan, state regulations and the City Municipal Codes.
Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Determines overall department direction and provides leadership to Community Development staff.
- Interacts with a variety of individuals, departments and groups, both internally and within the community, to provide information, disseminate departmental information and assist in resolving administrative issues.
- Implements, manages and coordinates City economic development activities between the City and its community partners.
- Formulates, develops, and provides oversight of City zoning, sign and subdivision ordinances.
- Works with building inspectors to oversee the implementation and enforcement of building codes.
- Coordinates information relating to the development and implementation of a comprehensive plan. Evaluates planning proposals to direct growth and redevelopment within the community.
- Develops and administers special planning projects, including overseeing formation of new TIF districts, and facilitation of development agreements.
- Manages planning activities including short- and long-range planning, current planning, land use regulations, annexation, and TID development plans with other departments.
- Coordinates and oversees applications for various federal and state grant programs related to economic growth and development.
- Analyzes City codes, ordinances, processes and standards and recommends improvements to assist the community in balancing regulatory requirements with its goal to foster new business growth and development.
- Prepares and implements the budget for Community Development.
- Researches and prepares special projects for the Mayor and City Council, including grant applications, reports, policies and procedures, as requested.
- Develops and implements a proactive plan for supporting existing community businesses.
Requirements include a Bachelor’s Degree in Planning, Public Administration, or a related field. A minimum of five years’ experience in planning, engineering, zoning, economic or community development with a municipality is required. Knowledge of planning principals, zoning, annexation, planned unit developments and development rules, regulations and ordinances is required.
The City offers attractive benefits, including Wisconsin Retirement System, health and dental insurance, vacation and sick leave, and paid holidays.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume and application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are on line: https://www.wirapids.org/uploads/1/0/3/3/103347874/application_rev_4-17-19.pdf.