SENIOR TRANSPORTATION PLANNER/ENGINEER
The Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission has an immediate opening for a senior planner or engineer with an interest in transit and transportation planning. Initially, the Senior Transportation Planner/Engineer will be the primary staff working on up to two transit corridor feasibility studies and a bus-on-shoulder freeway operations study. Future significant work efforts will include transit system development plans and public transit/human services coordination plans.
The Commission conducts area-wide system-level highway, transit, and bicycle/pedestrian planning for a seven-county Region, and facility and corridor-level traffic engineering and transportation planning for local governments. In 2016, the Commission completed VISION 2050, Southeastern Wisconsin’s long-range land use and transportation plan. The transportation component of that plan includes recommendations for a significant expansion of transit service in Southeastern Wisconsin. This position will be focused on furthering the implementation of transit expansion.
Responsibilities of this position also include:
- Assisting local units of government and transit operators in the Region with the allocation of federal funds and meeting federal regulations and guidance
- Studying transit-related challenges and opportunities upon request
- Conducting data collection and analysis
- Utilizing specialized transportation planning and engineering software
- Writing planning reports, including graphic preparation
The ideal candidate would have most—or all—of the following:
- Transit planning experience at an MPO, COG, RPC, or consulting firm; or in the planning department of a transit agency
- Experience with producing transit development plans or other transit studies. In particular, direct experience with the conduct of the studies necessary to support an application for Federal Transit Administration New or Small Starts Funding
- Working knowledge of Federal Transit Administration funding programs and requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with ArcGIS or other GIS software
- Familiarity with MS Excel or other spreadsheet software
A Master’s degree in civil engineering or urban planning and experience leading transit corridor feasibility and alternatives analysis studies is preferred. Three years of transportation engineering or planning experience, including experience with transit corridor feasibility studies, is required. Depending on the experience of the candidates, this position may be filled at the Principal level.
Please submit resume and cover letter by January 6, 2020.
Submissions should be directed to:
Ms. Elizabeth A. Larsen, SPHR, SHRM-SCP
Director of Administration
Southeastern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission
PO Box 1607
Waukesha, WI 53187-1607
Phone (262) 547-6721
Fax: (262) 547-1103