Associate Economic Development Planner
Closes: The position is open until filled with applications reviewed beginning December 16, 2019.
Status: Regular full-time, 40 hours per week; Exempt FLSA status.
Salary: The starting salary range is $68,000 – $75,000 annually, DOE, with full benefits.
Location: Puget Sound Regional Council, Downtown Seattle, Washington
The Puget Sound Regional Council is the regional transportation, growth management and economic development planning agency serving Seattle and the central Puget Sound. The thriving region is home to over 4 million people and is one of the nation’s fastest growing metropolitan areas. PSRC brings together the region’s diverse counties, cities and towns, native tribes, ports, the state of Washington and civic interests to understand the challenges facing our region’s future and make plans for the region to continue to succeed. The agency serves as the region’s Metropolitan Planning Organization and is the regional leader for growth management, transportation, and economic development under state and federal laws.
Visit www.psrc.org to find out more. PSRC is an equal opportunity employer.
PSRC is seeking an energetic, talented professional to support its economic development and regional planning efforts for the Puget Sound region, including development and implementation of the region’s economic strategy. The position reports to the Principal Economic Development Manager in the Regional Planning Division to support the agency’s economic development program, as well as supporting longrange transportation and land use planning efforts.
The ideal candidate will have the following knowledge and abilities:
• Ability to develop, organize, and implement regional economic development planning strategies.
• Have a robust understanding of transportation and land use policies in the state and region and a demonstrated ability to coordinate economic development planning with land use, transportation and environmental planning.
• Detailed knowledge of the regional economy, including trends, issues, and stakeholders.
• Experience communicating economic policy and data effectively in writing, orally and through formal presentations to a wide variety of audiences.
• Experience producing and coordinating work on projects in cross-functional teams.
• Experience with public policy advocacy in federal, state, regional, and local affairs.
• Knowledge of planning and policy issues related to growth management, transportation, economic development, and local and regional governance.
• Experience with operations and support of a governing board and in staffing elected leadership.
Experience and Education:
• At least three years of experience in economic development, urban planning, and/or related field.
• Any combination of education and experience that would provide the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge, and ability required to perform the job.
PSRC provides a compensation package that includes a salary and benefits that represent approximately 30% of an employee’s total compensation package. Benefits eligible employees at PSRC are provided a wide range of benefits including:
• Life Insurance
• Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
• Short-Term Disability (STD)
• Long-Term Disability (LTD)
• Washington State Public Employees Retirement Systems (PERS)
• Employer-match 457 Deferred Compensation
• Personal Time Bank (PTB)/Vacation Pay
• Holiday Pay
• Family Medical Leave
• Bereavement Leave
• Jury Duty Leave
• Military Leave
• Transportation Incentive Plan (TIP)
• Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
• Life Assistance Program (LAP)
• Long-Term Care (LTC)
• To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and completed, signed PSRC application.
• The voluntary and confidential Equal Employment Opportunity, Applicant’s Invitation to Self-Identify – Veteran Status, and Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms are appreciated for applicant tracking purposes.
• For application materials, please visit: https://www.psrc.org/about/careers
• Completed materials can be emailed to email@example.com faxed to 206-587-4825, or mailed to:
Puget Sound Regional Council, attn: HR
1011 Western Avenue, Suite 500
Seattle, WA 98104-1035
About the Puget Sound Region:
Spectacular natural surroundings, world-class education systems, thriving urban centers, vibrant neighborhoods and a lively arts and culture scene are just some of what makes the Puget Sound region an exceptional place to live and work. Ringed by snow-capped mountain peaks and crisscrossed by waterways, the Puget Sound region is a commercial center and a major hub for Trans-Pacific and European trade. Some of the world’s most successful and innovative companies are based here, including Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon, Boeing, Costco, Paccar, Weyerhaeuser, Nordstrom, and many more. Outdoor activities are especially plentiful given the region’s natural beauty and mild climate. Hiking in the Olympic or Cascade mountains, kayaking on Lake Union, or cycling on one of the many rails-to-trails paths are just a few of the options available. Washington is viewed as a progressive and innovative state where people are outgoing and friendly.