Director of Planning and Development
- Summary of Job
- The City of Verona is seeking a highly motivated, strategic and innovative leader to serve as its Director of Planning and Development!
Under the direction of the City Administrator, the Director will provide leadership, management and direction to the City’s Planning and Development and Building Inspection Departments.
This position is responsible for preparing and presenting policies related to the promotion and regulation of development and/or redevelopment of the City. Other primary responsibilities include serving as the City’s Zoning Administrator, conducting current and long-term planning for the community and representing the City in meetings with residents, property owners, developers, and other units of government. The Planning and Development Director is also responsible for preparing staff reports for the Plan Commission and City Council.
The City of Verona is a great place to work! We offer an amazing benefit package which includes excellent health insurance, participation in the Wisconsin Retirement System, ample paid leave and much more! In addition offering a competitive salary and excellent benefits, we encourage our employees to take advantage of our other great perks such as a casual office atmosphere, flexible work schedules, employee training and development opportunities, tuition reimbursement, and an employee assistance program that offers a variety of programs and tools designed to help promote an employee’s health and wellness! Please click the “Benefits” tab at the top of this announcement for a summary of our entire benefits package.
This opportunity is perfect for candidates looking to utilize and/or develop excellent communication and leadership skills! For additional information on the City and the department, as well as the required qualifications for this position we invite you to view the Planning and Development Director recruitment brochure.
Please note: The proposed 2020 budget includes a two percent cost of living salary adjustment.
- Job Duties and Responsibilities
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Provide professional planning assistance and advice to the Plan Commission, City Council, Community Development Authority, Zoning Board of Appeals, Verona Economic Development Commission, and other official bodies as needed and assigned.
2. Prepare agendas, staff reports, meeting minutes and other related information for the City Plan Commission, Community Development Authority, Verona Economic Development Commission, and Zoning Board of Appeals.
3. Prepare, revise, maintain and implement the City’s Comprehensive Plan and Neighborhood Plans
4. Maintain, interpret and apply the City’s Zoning Ordinance relating to planning-related issues including site plan reviews, plat reviews, conditional use permits, etc.
5.Evaluate development proposals and changes in land use for conformity to established plans and ordinances, including the impact on the community, and provide recommendations to the Plan Commission and City Council.
6. Meet with developers and others to flesh-out development opportunities that would be beneficial for the City; lead the City’s Development Review Committee in the review and analysis of development proposals; draft staff reports describing development proposals.
7. Assist with the development of short- and long-range plans; gather, interpret and prepare data for studies, reports and recommendations; coordinate planning and zoning operations with other departments and agencies as needed.
8. Maintain accurate records of planning and zoning operations and records related to plans, reports, applications, permits, maps, sketches, and other planning and development related documents.
9. In coordination with the Building Inspector, follow-through with development proposals from concept to completion and to monitor completed projects to ensure continued compliance with zoning requirements
10. Prepare and administer an annual budget for the Planning and Building Inspection Departments.
11. Monitor county, state and federal grant availability and eligibility criteria and investigate funding opportunities as related to planning and development. Prepare and submit applications for funding as appropriate.
12. Respond to local citizens and other interested parties inquiring about planning, zoning and development issues and concerns.
13. Provide assistance in the development and maintenance of intergovernmental agreements with neighboring municipalities.
14. Prepare amendments to the City’s Urban Service Area for submittal to the Dane County Regional Planning Commission or successor organization.
15. Supervises department activities and employees relating to planning, and building inspection.
16. Research, plan, promote, and implement affordable and workforce housing efforts and reports.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Performs other related assignments as requested by the Mayor, Common Council, and City Administrator.
- REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of contemporary planning, zoning, and economic development principles and practices.
2. Knowledge of Wisconsin laws related to City planning, development, economic development, and zoning.
3. Knowledge of Tax Increment Finance principles and practices.
4. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with elected and appointed officials, developers, owners, supervisors, employees and the general public.
5. Ability to draft plans, reports, agreements, resolutions, ordinances and other planning and zoning related documents.
6. Ability to work independently on projects with minimal supervision.
7. Skill in the use of a personal computer, including word processing, spreadsheets and data bases.
8. Skill in educating people about planning and development-related topics and ability to provide supporting and convincing data and arguments to represent a position in front of elected and appointed officials and the general public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in urban or regional planning, geography or a closely related field and experience with planning and zoning at the local government level are required. A Master’s degree and American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification are preferred. Formal supervisory experience is preferred. Knowledge of GIS and economic development are also desirable.
WORK CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The Director of Planning and Development spends approximately 95% of his/her time in an office environment and approximately 5% of his/her time in the field. Field work is performed outdoors in all Wisconsin weather conditions. The Director is required to be physically capable of performing typical office and field operations and is required to attend meetings outside of regular office hours including Plan Commission, City Council meetings, and other community meetings.
EQUIPMENT USED IN PERFORMING TASKS: Computers, calculators, telephones, copiers, fax machines and other office equipment.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must have a valid Wisconsin driver’s license and use of a personal vehicle to perform the job when necessary.
- Additional Information
POSITION REPORTS TO: The Director of Planning and Development reports to the City Administrator.
The above is intended to describe the general content of the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements.
The City of Verona fully subscribes to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the city to provide employment, compensation and other benefits related to employment based on qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal or State law.
Candidates may be subject to a comprehensive criminal background check involving a full- background investigation prior to appointment of this position.
- City of Verona
111 Lincoln Street
Verona, Wisconsin, 53593
- (608) 845-0965