Closes On: August 16, 2019 at 11:59 PM CST
Department: Planning & Development
Job Status: Full-Time
Rate of Pay: $3,805.42 Monthly – Salary Commensurate with Experience and Education
Details: Requisition #19-50170
Works under general supervision of the Manager of the Land Use Controls Section of the Office of Planning and Development to act as project manager for individual land use requests presented to the Memphis and Shelby County Land Use Control Board and Board of Adjustment.
1. Two (2) years of experience as a project manager, community development planner, housing development, city planner, community development, urban planner or related field working in a public planning department, private planning, design, engineering, or architectural consulting firm; and
2. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in planning, engineering, architecture, geography, finance, marketing, or related field; OR
3. Graduation from an accredited university with a master’s degree in planning, engineering, architecture, geography, finance, marketing, or related field.
4. PROOF OF EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Reviews individual applications that are made with the Memphis and Shelby County Land Use Control Board (the “LUCB,” which serves as the planning commission for the City of Memphis and unincorporated Shelby County) to ensure their compliance with the Memphis and Shelby County Unified Development Code (the “UDC”). These include requests for subdivisions, rezonings, special use permits, planned developments, street and alley closures, etc.
2. Reviews individual applications that are made with the Memphis and Shelby County Board of Adjustment (the “BOA,” which serves as the board of zoning appeals for the City of Memphis and unincorporated Shelby County) to ensure their compliance with the UDC; which include requests for variances, conditional use permits, change in nonconforming use permits, etc.
3. Mediates between applicants to the LUCB and BOA and neighboring property owners and groups on individual cases.
4. Composes staff reports and conditions for approval, which includes resolutions for individual cases that go before the LUCB and BOA.
5. Presents staff findings to the LUCB and BOA monthly; Requests and presentations are made to the Memphis City Council and/or Shelby County Board of Commissioners.
6. Works with the general public on a wide range of zoning questions, which involves a high volume of emails, phone calls and walk-ins.
7. Reviews site plans, subdivision plats and planned development final plans to ensure their compliance with the approvals by the LUCB, BOA, Memphis City Council, and Shelby County Board of Commissioners.
8. Reviews site plans in the overlay and special purpose districts to ensure their compliance with the UDC.
9. Prepares reports and presents to the Technical Review Committee.
10. Prepares maps using GIS for each case.
11. Performs other related duties as required or directed.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
KSAs and Others –
1. Ability to present zoning cases to public bodies, appointed or elected.
2. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
3. Knowledge of working with municipal or county departments, especially planning and engineering departments.
4. Knowledge in working with zoning codes and subdivision regulations.
5. Ability to research laws, ordinances, rules and regulations to prepare technical and legal documents.
6. Ability to understand and interpret site plans.
7. Ability to plan, organize and maintain an even flow of work.
8. Ability to deal courteously with the public and to resolve problem situations.
9. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
10. General computer knowledge and skills.